Lack of Credibilty in the Media

From time to time little things crop up in the media that leads you to question its credibility. The latest is at article entitled "Where are the good leaders?" in the Jamaica Observer. In the article the following is stated as fact. "Members of the congregation also observed the start of a new year by greeting each other at the stroke of midnight with wishes of 'Happy New Year'." This is as far from the truth as east is from the west. The members of the congregation did greet each other but not at the stroke of midnight. This greeting occurred sometime between 6-7 p.m. after the programme had ended and the sun had set.

Shooting Incident

This reminds me of another incident where a man was shot not far from my house at about 5:45 p.m. on the Saturday afternoon of May 15, 2004. Based on what I heard it sounded like about seven rounds of ammunition being fired followed by the sound of tyres peeling as a motor vehicle seem to speed away. I remember going to scene about five to ten(5-10) minutes later and seeing the man lying dead in a pool of blood with at least three(3) bullet wounds to his body. I was also able to see clearly that the police had identified and circled at least five (5) spent shells. The body remained in that position for almost two (2) hours until the crime scene team arrived, police photos taken and other notes made. The body was then removed from the scene at about 8:00 p.m. by undertakers from the Maddens Funeral Home

I remember clearly that the Observer news team arrived on the scene, in a marked Observer vehicle, at about 7:00 p.m. I saw the reporter milling around talking to a few people and police officers on the scene trying to get the story.

Different Story

When the story came out the next day I was shocked. The Observer reported that the shooting occurred at 7:00 p.m. That was about the time they arrived on the scene. Then they reported that the police said there were three spent shells. That was two less than what I clearly saw the police circle. I could not agree or disagree with the story about the gunman escaping on foot as I did not see but based on what I heard after the gunshots and what I heard people who were nearby saying, the gunmen escaped in waiting motor vehicle that speed away on Molynes Road. I could not believe how a medium could have reported the story so wrong. How many times has this happened? Then comes along this current story about a church I know all too well as I was raised there and I am a member there.

These are two incidents I have pretty intimate knowledge of and the details lack credibility. What about the ones I know nothing about? How do I believe anything the media writes? People depend on the media to be credible source.

Seventh-day Adventists worldwide and in Jamaica believe that a day begins at sunset and that is why they celebrate the weekly Sabbath from Sunset Friday afternoon to Sunset on Saturday afternoon.

I can say without any fear of contradiction or suit that at 12:00 midnight on January 1, 2006, the doors of the Kencot SDA Church were closed.

Links - Observer Article on Killing

Comments

Anonymous said…
I too can corroborate that the members of that church certainly did not greet each other anywhere near the stroke of midnight but some 3-3.5 hrs earlier

Popular posts from this blog

Solution to iOS9 "Slide to Upgrade" issue on iPad/iPhone

That outrageous cartoon : Prime Minister of Jamaica, Portia Simpson-Miller.

Blackberry Link not working? Apple iTunes update responsible